This was a new ride last year, led by Robin. Rated 3/5 Difficulty!
55km ride (map link)
from Canterbury to Whitstable, and then clockwise around the Kent coast to Ramsgate. Substantial off-road sections, some with flint/gravel which might be uncomfortable on narrow high-pressure tyres. Whatever size, please make sure that your tyres are in good order, and consider bringing a spare tube.
* 08:45 Sunday 7 July: arrive at Stratford International station
* pair up with another 2—7 people for a Group Saver purchase; NB you must travel back with these people!
* full price adult tickets are £20—“same day return, Stratford International to Ramsgate”
* use the tiny lift or carry your bike down lots of stairs to the platform
* trains may be busy; spread along the platform
* catch the train to Canterbury, and get off at Canterbury:
09:16: Stratford International [SFA] Platform 3 (but check the platform on the day!)
10:08: arrive Canterbury West [CBW]
Most of the ride is pretty flat, but there is a hill up to the university at the start and a couple of short sharp climbs—see elevation profile:
We will have to get off and push for a few short sections, including by beach huts and the sailing club, and there are a few other risk assessmenty things that I’ve put notes on the map for. Quite a lot of the ride is on shared-use paths, so please give other users consideration.
We are joining up with some more cyclists from Bexhill at Whitstable station around 11:00, after which we’ll head on around the coast via Herne Bay, Margate etc.
Café stop after ~35km (no cards for less than £10 spend, so you might like to bring cash), but please ensure that you carry enough water, especially if it’s hot.
We’ll then catch the train back to Stratford International; again, if it’s busy, we might need to spread out along the train a bit.