This is a news update since our last meeting.
- Our representations for cycle contraflow for Cramner and Sandringham Rds one way schemes have been agreed in principle and have been fed into the system. Â This element of the scheme will need to be republished and re-consulted, which will take some time.
- Ward by ward audits are progressing. Â Most of the north of the borough has been covered and priority minor schemes for increased permeability have been identified. The work done may be consolidated in a daylong workshop to prioritise the use of the available funding, the exact amount of which should become clear after the mini-Holland outcome is known.
- The Mini-Holland outcome should be known by mid-March. Â Fingers still crossed.
- Our annual meeting will take place onÂ 31 March 2014 at CoffeE7. Â It will be mostly a social/celebration. Â Light catering will be provided. Â Councillor Christie, who has done so much to progress cycling in the Borough, has been invited. Â On the formal side we have to elect officers. Â For the last few years we have not filled all the posts so volunteers/nominations are very welcome. Â To me at any time before the meeting.
- The (almost) one million pounds awarded to Newham by TfL to promote the mayor’s vision for cycling will be used primarily for cycle parking and cycle training, and also to develop a Borough cycle strategy.
- I have received a consultation on the extension of the Stratford NE controlled Parking Zone. Â I could identify no particular cycling issues, but if anyone would like to see it please let me know.
- I have also received a consultation to add Helena Rd Plaistow to the 20mph region around Plaistow. Â We have commented on this to urge the inclusion of Upper St. Â It is also re-enacting most of the one way systems in the area. Â In line with our policy of pressing for cycle contraflows I suggest responding that in re-enacting the one ways provision should be made for cycle contraflows. Â Comments welcome.
- Finally, don’t forget the Newham Ride onÂ 15 MarchÂ starting 10.00am at the ViewTube.