Readout from March 25 Meeting

We met at Stratford Library – a new venue – thanks to Trevor Mbatha. there was the usual crowded and interesting agenda.

  • Laura Shelton, a Crossrail Walking and Cycling Ambassador started us off, being available to mark bikes before the meeting. At the meeting proper she explained her role and some of her ideas for increasing cycling around stations and for staff. She explained that current policy will be for Crossrail to carry bikes – off peak- over all its lines (including the central underground tunnel.
  • Richard Wadey (Newham Council Sustainable Transport Officer) unravelled how Newham was proposing to spend the £2-3m pa TfL funding to promote the Mayor of London’s Transport Policy. For details see the earlier post of the catch up meeting with him. Headlines are that the big ticket items will be for (a) progressing design of Liveable Neighbourhoods (Forest Gate North in partnership with Waltham Forest and Woodgrange Estate). These would link to TfL’s accelerated interest in tackling the Romford Rd strategic cycling corridor; (b) forwarding design for some other strategic cycle corridors and completing improvements to Greenway and its ramps (e.g. at Newham General, Upper St) and a path through West Ham Memorial Park; (c) progressing design for key junctions on TfL’s identified strategic cycling routes, particularly the Barking Rd and (d) continuing the successful training and cycle hanger programme. He also explained various potential sources of funding to convert design into actual infrastructure. This is in addition to the Freemasons Liveable Neighbourhood for which Newham’s bid was successful, and other projects on the fringe of the borough such as Ilford Hill, the crossing of the Roding at Ilford and the Ilford to Barking route.
  • Trevor led discussion on the proposed “Greenway Challenge” event he was promoting on either the first or last Sunday of Bike Week. He had set up a number of partnerships already to get this event off the ground and we indicate a positive wish to help.
  • Also during Bike Week we decided to seek 13 June for a Bike Week partnership event with Stratford Original to promote and celebrate the improvements brought by the removal of the Stratford Gyratory.
  • Jonathan updated us on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and the disturbing approach of the LLDC (the Planning Authority) whose current Design Guidance includes some real cycling howlers. We are going to have to get down to detail to update them not only on current practice but also to bring to their attention the historic mistakes make in the QEOP.
  • Richard Stevenson is pursing a Councillor Ride to ensure that the Newham Councillors who cycle get a better idea of what cycle infrastructure is possible and in place elsewhere.
  • Partnership Rides with Clapton CFC on 27 April and Bike from Boleyn on 4 May are coming up. A chance to mix football (of your choice) with cycling. And of course our own ride season is now in full swing.
  • Our Annual Meeting will take place on 29 April at the Red Lion 80 High St South East Ham 7.30pm to 9.30pm Light refreshment will be provided. Whilst predominantly a social/discussion event with guests we will have some formal business, particularly the election of Officers. Anyone who would like (or think they may like) to take a more active role in Newham Cyclists is encouraged to put their name forward. We want to continue to be a vibrant group.

Arnold

Infrastructure Issues

Every few months we have a “catch up” meeting with the Newham sustainable Transport Officer (Richard Wadey). A chart accessible through this link records the outcome of this meeting by reference to some specific major cycle infrastructure issues. Some headlines:

-The chart references areas affected by the draft LIP bid.

-There has been an increase in cycling in Newham on CS2 and the Greenway (Quietway 22).

-Cycle training has a high demand.

-There is also a High demand for secure cycle storage.

Any question please contact me through the Newham cyclists contact e-mail.

Arnold

Readout from 25 February Meeting

A crew of 14 met at the Velodrome to discuss a wide range of topics:

We are expecting shortly to receive a copy of Newham’s Local implementation Plan (which sets out how the Council intends to spend its TfL transport infrastructure grant). This will need detailed consideration. TfL are expecting to announce their funding for Liveable Neighbourhood projects. we are optimistic that there may be one in Newham.

There was an update on the Stratford Gyratory cycle event run that afternoon afternoon by Newham Council. It gave an opportunity to chat generally with Council Officers. All “snagging” suggestions” for this scheme to go to Olawale (our Local Infrastructure Rep) for him to collate. we need to keep an eye on the restoration of bike parking and enforcement.

Our April meeting will be our Annual Meeting with guests. We will be electing officers and anyone who would like to contribute as an officer would be welcome. Formal notice will be issued later. We will also pursue a private meeting with key Councillors.

We discussed arrangements for a new partnership ride with Clapton FC from the Old Spotted Dog to their game at Wadham lodge on 27 April. Bike from Boleyn, another football related partnership ride, is scheduled for the following Saturday.

We discussed our contribution of organising a ride to support the relaunch of Redbridge LCC starting  at the Quaker Meeting House on Bush Rd  2 March, 11.00 am.

We discussed suitable responses to the reconsultion on proposals to remove humps in Capel Rd.

We discussed a possible partnership with Stratford Original (a business improvement project) who are planning a event related to the new Stratford town centre layout.

We discussed the Council’s unsatisfactory plans for Greengate St/Barking Road and decided to take the matter up at the political level based on our response to the consultation.

We discussed development in the Olympic Park and Westfield, noting LLDC’s reluctance to follow the London Mayor’s new cycle standards, and the opportunity to leverage development funding for sustainable transport improvements.

Readout from January 2019 Meeting

A goodly crew of 15 gathered in Durning Hall, Forest Gate on 28 January for our first meeting of 2019 and the first for a couple of months. There were a number of interesting developments.

  • We discussed the briefing given by Murray Woodburn on Newham’s Local Implementation Plan (LIP) which is the bid for money from TfL for infrastructure projects. The bid has not yet gone to TfL to the change in the responsible Newham Cabinet Member, who had yet to approve it, and we were not shown any specific details. However from what Murray was able to show us from the general principles governing the bid were strong on sustainable transport. This year TfL are scrutinising LIP bids closely to ensure they contribute to the Mayor of London’s Vision and LCC itself is also looking at them closely. If the bid meets the principles it should pass these tests and, more importantly, progress sustainable transport in Newham.
  • Queeen Elizabeth Olympic Park: Following our letter on the inadequacies of the cycling provision in the Park (see earlier post), we have sent objections to LLDC in respect of the cycling provision included in the Stratford Waterfront proposal. Jonathan will represent us at the next meeting of LLDC’s Sustainable & Active Travel Group. Olawale is pursing a possible link with the Bobby Moore Academy which is also interested in pushing sustainable transport.
  • Olawale updated us on an audit rides of the Ilford – Barking-Barking Riverside and CS3 – Barking routes. He also reported that the “Ilford Gardens” scheme to improve Ilford Hill and the Romford Rd /North Circular junction was lilkely to start this year.
  • We decided to pursue an invitation from Stratford Original, the local Business Improvement District Group, to mark the completion of the Stratford gyratory works (when it happens). We are also pursuing various issues connected with these works.
  • We will contribute to the relaunch of hte Redbridge LCC group.
  • Our ride season has kicked off (see previous post). we tweaked our calendar.

Arnold

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and Westfield

Here is a letter Newham Cyclists have sent to Councillors Tripp and Ali – Cabinet members for Environment and Sustainable Transport respectively on 4 January:

QEOP letter

The prompt reply from Councillor Ali is as follows:

Dear Arnold, many thanks for your email and attachments  covering your concerns regarding the above.

Clearly cycling and walking facilities are  an integral part of our sustainable transport policies and great assets to help improve quality of air, health and well being of our community.  You may be aware that later this month and in early February, the Council is having extensive public and stakeholder consultation in this regard and I  look forward to contribution from groups like yours there. 
I have forwarded your concerns to our officers  for  an update to
myself  and Cllr Tripp. Once I have this, I will get back to you and if necessary meet to discuss any issues.
In any event I hope I will have the opportunity to meet you at the consultation events.
Best Regards

 

In addition LCC and ourselves we have raised concerns in respect of hte major Stratford Waterfront Development – largely on the grounds that this development should be an opportunity to correct some of the major defects in the cycling facilities in these areas.

Those wishing to see the submission should get in touch with me.

Arnold

Newham Ride 11 November 2018

There will be a Newham Ride, with a heritage theme on 11 November 2018, starting from the View Tube Cafe at 10.30 am.  A leisurely and quiet jaunt around some sites in the borough (or immediately adjacent) with a story to tell.  At least one refreshment stop.

Here is some historical information and photographs that will be drawn upon:

Newham Heritage Ride Nov 2018

For map of the start see our events section.

Readout of Meeting of 29 October 2018

A packed agenda stimulated some lively discussion.

  • Mike updated on the Greenwich and Woolwich footunnels, .  We will pursue with Newham Council the updating of the bye-laws – which include pilot schemes permitting cycling, but may need adjustment to accommodate non-standard cycles.
  • Steve led discussion on rides.  The last ride of the year with the AAA children’s cycle club will take place on 3 November with (possibly) a  ride to the Fireworks later that evening, and a short Newham Ride with a heritage theme on 11 November.

    Steve is working on next year’s ride calendar.  The starting point will be this year’s rides, which have been successful in particular in attracting participants from outside Newham.    We are looking for a broad range of ride leaders and can arrange training through LCC.  If you have a ride you would be able to lead get in touch.

  • We celebrated our campaigning award on Stratford Town Centre  (note, no longer a gyratory), particularly for Olawale who was not at the the LCC AGM to receive it.
    The scheme has rightly been recognised for its quality.  Some construction issues were highlighted and a further audit ride is planned.  In the longer term we need to remain alert on 20mph, conflicts with pedestrians, and rat running in the margins of the scheme.
  • We are planning a audit ride for Quietway 22 (the Greenway), and discussed out continuing concerns with Quietway 6, across the north of the Borough which still under development  .
  • We highlighted points to raise with Newham Council’s Sustainable Transport Officer (which will be posted separately following a meeting with him.)
  • Finally :
    (a) Bike for Boleyn are holding a Quiz Night on 23 November at East ham Working Mens Club, 7.30pm.
    (b) Waltham Forest have expressed a desire to associate with our initiative on the QE Olympic Park – there being a meeting of the LLDC Sustainable Transport Group following July’s audit ride shortly.

Arnold