20 gathered in an upstairs room in the Red Lion High Street South for our Annual Meeting.
The following Officers were elected.:
- Co-ordinator: Arnold Ridout;
- Deputy Co-ordinator: Kerena Fussell;
- Treasurer: Bill Bremner;
- Rides Co-ordinator: Steve Smith;
- Local Infrastructure Rep: Olawale Ajibola;
- Deputy Infrastructure Rep: Chris Kershaw;
- Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park Rep: Jonathan Rothwell.
A draft Annual Report , Annual Accounts and Budget were approved.
Away from the more formal business:
- Terry Patterson, LCC Trustee, expressed her appreciation of the groups work over the past year and asked members to consider standing for posts as LCC Trustees.
- Louis Martin, from Fossil Free Newham, recalled that Newham Council had now voted unanimously to to go “fossil free”, explained what this entailed and reminded us that vigilance was needed to ensure that this vote was put into practice.
- In response to Steve’s report on rides, there was discussion on categorisation of rides.
- Olawale outlined developments following Newham Council’s successful bid to take part in TfL Liveable Neighbourhoods initiative in Custom House and prospects for the principles to be applied in the Stratford/ Forest Gate areas in partnership with Waltham Forest. Murray Woodburn, from Newham Council, supplemented this and delivered the news that 5 pilot “School Streets” initiatives had been agreed.
- Our discussion on how to communicate better and in a changing environment resulted in a call for a single regular e-mail newsletter to replace the Borough insert into the London Cyclists magazine and continued use of the Yahoo Group for urgent communication – backed up by continued use of social media.
- We discussed forthcoming activities including a possible Councillor Ride, and a partnership event with Stratford Original on 13 June during Bike Week.
Watch this space over the next year