Pleasant weather for an evening ride from Canning Town through the Royal Docks Corridor and on to the Red Lion at East Ham. The purpose was to look at the route being currently consulted upon, which ends on 30 July. We have already fed in a detailed collective response (which can be provided on request) but individual responses are needed. The main issues that became apparent were:
- The northbound section at Canning Town bus Station.
- The width of the cycle lanes/tracks.
- Avoiding left hooks at main junctions.
- Priority for cycle lanes at junctions with minor roads.
There was a lot of catching up in the discussion afterwards:
- We are going to do Fix Your Ride sessions in the Royal Docks area; at Waterside Park E16 2FN on 3 August and at RADLAC, Albert Rd E16 2JB on 4 August – each from 10am-4pm (with breaks). If you would like to help on either of these days, even if for a part only, please get in touch with me.
- Funding is available for improving access to green space through the Grow Back Greener Fund. If you have a good scheme for a parklet let me know. There are a few weeks to formulate a scheme.
- Next rides are Forest Gate Pride on 14 August and a Newham Ride on 29 August – likely a boundary of the borough ride to take in the current Roding way route and look at future possibilities.
- We have met with the re-formed Redbridge LCC and have current shared issues with the poor proposals by Redbridge Council for Centre Rd and Aldersbrook Rd. consultation on the Aldersbrook Rd scheme was previously limited to residents of the Aldersbrook Estate, but has not been widened, so Newham users can make their views known.
- We discussed how to campaign for improvement on the Leyton section of Quietway 6. This will be picked up by the Committee.
- We discussed developments in the QE Olympic Park including the forthcoming opening of Monier Rd Bridge. There is progress but slower than we would have liked. We will invite an LLDC rep to our September meeting.
- We are continuing to film routes – so all ideas for routes to film gratefully received.
- Stratford High Street is going to be subject to major works so we discussed how best to ensure cycle safety, particularly at Marshgate Lane which is likely to get busy. This will also be picked up by the Committee.
- The Greenway ramp to Newham Hospital has opened at long last. Huzzah!
If you would like further information on any of the above please get in touch.