A rather more select band of attendees than usual, but enough for lively discussion.
- Suzannah Walker from the Beckton and Royal Docks Neighbourhood Team came to discuss possibilities to increase cycling in that area of the borough which benefits from some quiet and off road routes. Ideas centres on adjusting some Newham Rides later in the year, leading bespoke “Tour of Beckton” rides and bringing the market stall to an event.
- We discussed the TfL consultation for the Bow area, for which Olawale will be preparing a collective response by the deadline of 23 April, but individual responses are also encouraged.
- Rides coming up – April 9, Kent Coast is attracting outside interest. The Bike from Boleyn Ride on 22 April is gaining momentum. Any further volunteers for marshalling this will be most welcome – contact me.
- Our approach for a meeting with Councillors Clark and Murphy, who now have responsibility for cycling infrastructure had a speedy positive response from Councillor Murphy. If such a meeting takes place, as is likely, it will give us a chance to raise some high level issues such as the Borough cycle Strategy, our vision, the need for sustainable transport “planning gain”, the Silvertown Tunnel .
- Westfield have put in a planning application to LLDC for expansion – partly using space now occupied by a car park. . The sustainable transport options and opportunities will need to be pressed.
- Other upcoming events: Kerena is proposing to lead a ride to the “Leading our Lives” sponsored ride at Redbridge Cycling Centre on Good Friday. A Cyclotopia event will be taking place at the Velodrome on 11 June- providing access to various activities at various fees. There are a series of events relating to the Lea Valley which look interesting.
- Meeting with Councillors Tripp and Akiwowo re Maryland fixed for 5 April. Anyone interested in attending contact me for details. [Since the meeting we have also had an invite from Council Officials to discuss, at short notice, both the Stratford Gyratory and Maryland.]
- Last month there was some interest in providing a rota to help with the cycling aspects of a young persons project in the Arc in the Park, Hermit Road Park each Saturday. We decided to pursue this by taking a look one Saturday to see what was involved. Again if you think you might be interest get in touch with me and I can include you in the correspondence.
- The arrangements for the Annual Meeting on 24 April are progressing.