A lively Annual Meeting, with refreshment, was held at the East Ham Working Mens Club on 30 April 2018. A turnout of 24 members and guests heard an interesting presentation by Dr Rachel Aldred, an LCC Trustee, on cycle safety. She has undertaken a study which examined the various factors contributing to cycle safety such s the nature of the roads, the amount of traffic, the presence of bus lanes, speed limits and the number of cyclists. One of her findings was that safety improved with a 20mph speed limit irrespective whether it was enforced or not.
This finding was complemented by Jeremy Leach from Living Streets London and 20’s Plenty who provided an optimistic view of recent developments including forthcoming speed limiters for buses.
Gerard Bailey, Chairman of Bike from Boleyn, thanked us for our contribution to the successful ride of thee previous day.
In addition to the matters raised in the report (see earlier post):
- Newham Cyclists and Living Streets Newham jointly met with the (now) Mayor of Newham, at her invitation; she subsequently pledged to submit a bid to TfL for a Low Traffic Neighbourhood.
- Some residents in Manor Park are now wanting to take action against rat-running . We will seek to assist.
On the business side the following Officers were elected for 2018-19:
- Joint co-ordinators, Kerena Fussell and Arnold Ridout
- Treasurer, Bill Bremner
- Infrastructure Rep, Olawale Ajibola
- Ride co-ordinator, Steve Smith.
The Accounts for 2017-18, the Budget for 2018-19 and the Annual Report (see earlier post) were all approved.