Our thanks to Ambition, Aspire, Achieve for providing a venue.
Our rides calendar is continuing.
- The rearranged Bike from Boleyn is now taking place on 9 October. If anyone who has not already signed up is available to marshal on this day please contact me.
- We will be assisting Woodcraft Folk on an evening ride on 28 September. Again if anyone would like to help on this please contact Bill. Woodcraft have expressed their thanks for our involvement to date.
- The next Newham Ride is scheduled for 16 October.
- There is a possible partnership with those involved with the Queen’s Market regeneration programme with a view to a Newham history based ride. It was agreed to take this forward as it can provide a new variation on the Newham rides.
The partnership with the children’s cycle club of Ambition, Aspire, Achieve is continuing. there will be a bike maintenance session at the Abbey Hub on 1 October .. we will be looking to arrange further midweek maintenance sessions and also Saturday rides. Again if you would like to participate in any of these activities get in touch with me.
The next Fix your Ride is scheduled for 8 October. September’s event was busy.
A lot is going on in relation to infrastructure:
- A number of low traffic neighbourhoods (LTNs) have been made permanent. This is good news. it opens the opportunity for complementary enhancements such as the crossing of Water Lane between 2 LTNs, and opens the way for a right turn into Dames Rd.
- The Council have leafleted their decision explore the Woodgrange and Capel LTNs including preparing designs. We considered the need to pursue the actual data so far collected and the proposed designs. In this context we discussed how a more comprehensive coverage of information about LTNs and other topics could be achieved by the Council including what was actually possible.
- The Romford Rd improvement scheme is progressing, with an event scheduled by the Council for 22 October. Details yet to be revealed, but a date for diaries as this should include a meeting between ourselves and the design team in addition to the launch of a data collection project. In the meantime we have helped publicise the data collection project.
- Now TfL had agreed a funding package with the government the Council are likely to be in the process of formulation their LIP bid – the process whereby TfL fund local transport projects.
- There are a number of major developments being followed. These include Custom House Regeneration where comments had been submitted and and responses received from local councillors and the Council’s regeneration officer. At Crown Wharf (which is an important site currently blocking the completion of the Leaway) we are still waiting for a promised contact from the consultants engaged to prepare a transport assessment. We agree to contact councillors and the developers direct with our suggestions if this was not forthcoming soon. Our response to the Beckton Riverside consultation was sent to Sir Stephen Timms who supported the Roding Way – Thames Path linkage by writing to the Newham Council’s Chief Executive. We are engaging with the developers of the Bow Gasworks Estate.
- We agreed to seek a further catch-up meeting with the Council’s sustainable transport team.
The LCC AGM and Community Skills Summit is on Saturday 15 October. details and registration link are in the post below.
There has been contact with the Redbridge Cyclists Co-ordinator, particularly on that council’s sub-optimal plans for the Ilford Hill. Both groups are unsure what is happening with the Ilford Gardens scheme under the A406 bridge.
Any group response to the unfortunate developments in Tower Hamlets would need to go through LCC. It was agreed that rather than a group response individuals should be invited to comment.
The new Sustainable Transport Officer for Newham, Su Guy, has agreed to come to a future meeting.
We discussed the timing and venue for future meetings. Finding a venue and making changes to the timing requires further consultation for which a volunteer is needed.
If you would like further information on any of the above please contact me.